A grocery list is the most essential tool to create a guideline for clean eating and saving time and money at the store.
Determine Your Budget
- Calculate how much money you can allocate for grocery shopping. Remember to factor in non-food items such as toiletries, dish soaps etc.
Check Your Inventory at Home
- Keep a running inventory of what you have at home in your refrigerator, freezer, and pantry. You can use inventory items first and avoid purchasing what you already have. Add items to your grocery list as you deplete them from your inventory.
Plan Weekly Meals and Snacks
- After you determine your budget and check your inventory at home, review the ingredients in the recipes. Add ingredients to your grocery list that you do not have on hand. Planning your weekly meals and snacks will guarantee a complete grocery list.
- Use the layout of the grocery store to help you make your grocery list and shop efficiently. List and gather fruits, vegetables, low fat-dairy products and lean meats first. These items are usually found around the perimeter of the store. This will help you create meals with healthy food choices.
Look for Deals and Seasonal Produce
- Search your local newspaper for deals on staple food items, such as rice, canned goods, pasta etc, that you use regularly, as well as seasonal produce such as peaches and tomatoes in the summer.
- Purchasing seasonal produce is an easy way to save money. You will be able to enjoy a variety of fruits and vegetables throughout the year that are fresher and cheaper than purchasing them out of season.
Keep a Tally
- Keep a notebook near the kitchen to make a list when you are running low on food and spices, as well as non-food items. You can quickly add these items to your grocery list.
Follow these tips and you’ll soon be on your way to clean eating, saving time, and saving money. You can find more tips on food safety in the grocery store, in the car and at home here. Do you use a grocery list to help with shopping?
Jasmynn Lahner is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist located in San Antonio, Texas. Her goal is the help people live their best lives through tailored nutrition services and education through grocery store tours, nutrition education, nutrition coaching and more. You can learn more about her on her website and/or blog or follow along on Instagram and Facebook.