It’s Sunday Funday and I’ve got a great new recipe for you all!
This salad is a very flavorful salad and the cool thing is that all the veggies are where the flavor comes in. The veggies are usually crisp veggies and they are finely diced so you get a mixture of flavors and a lot of crunch in every bite.
The veggies that are typically used are lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, red or green onions, radishes, and sometimes parsley or mint are used sparingly. The dressing is always a homemade lemon, olive oil, and salt based dressing and can also include pomegranate syrup, vinegar, black pepper, and sumac. The pomegranate syrup gives it a bit of sweetness while incorporating sumac adds some tartness.
Alright, enough back story and education. My husband and I don’t love tomatoes so our salad usually does not include tomatoes (plus they get soggy). Below is my typical Tiny Arab Salad. It makes about 4 big servings.
- 1 cup lettuce, finely chopped (roughly 6 large leaves)
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced (orange or yellow so you get all the colors)
- 1 salad cucumber, finely diced (if a larger cucumber then about 6 inches)
- 1/2 red onion, very finely diced (this is according to taste, if not a fan of onions then use less if an onion lover then use more)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all diced and chopped veggies in a bowl
- Mix dressing ingredients together with a fork or whisk.
- Pour over salad and toss together.