I love trying new and different recipes like this one here: Lasagna Stuffed Peppers. This recipe removes the lasagna noodles and replaces them with pepper boats. It’s obviously not really lasagna but I loved it because I could use homemade (from scratch) garlic bread as my starch. And homemade bread is the best (that recipe will be coming soon).
For now, let’s focus on pepper boat lasagna (is that a better name for this recipe?). It’s super straightforward – make lasagna filling and stuff peppers ➡️ bake covered 35 min ➡️ uncover, top with cheese, bake 5-10 more minutes.
That’s a quick run-through, on to the recipe below.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 2/3 jar pasta sauce (any flavor)
- 3 peppers, cut into boats (like photo)
- 2-3 small handfuls of shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Heat olive oil in medium sauce pan and add ground beef
- Cook for about 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper
- Mix in onion and garlic and continue using a mashing motion to prevent clumping until meat is fully cooked (another 5 minutes)
- Add in mushrooms and olives and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Pour a little sauce into baking pan (1/4 cup)
- Add remaining sauce to meat mixture and allow to come to a boil
- Place peppers in baking pan and spoon in meat mixture (distribute evenly)
- Cover and place in oven for 35 minutes
- Uncover, top with cheese and bake for another 5-10 minutes uncovered
PS. Recipe modified from Spicy Southern Kitchen