I’ve got a great new recipe that can serve as your vegetable and starch all in one.It could also be a great snack or even an entree if you beef it up with some protein (pun totally intended!). I would choose something like feta cheese for the added protein. And if you’re fasting, this would be great for that pre-dawn meal.
Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fiber, double the win. I also learned how to make onions super yummy in salads without the sharp taste (it’s almost too easy). It’s so incredibly refreshing.
Ok, on to the food:
– 1 red onion
– Juice from one lemon (~1/4 cup)
– 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
– 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
– Roughly 3 cups green beans, the original recipe calls for fresh green beans but I used thawed frozen (pre-cut, win) green beans and it worked great; I’m sure even canned would be totally fine (if using can, make sure to drain and rinse)
– For seasoning: crushed garlic, salt, and pepper to taste
– 1/2 teaspoon mustard (I used spicy brown mustard)
– Finely chopped parsley and mint (optional)
– Slice onion and place in resealable bag with lemon juice; set aside
– Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat
– Add the green beans and allow to cook for a 3-4 minutes (a few minutes longer if fresh)
– Add the chickpeas and allow to cook for another 5-7 minutes
– Add the seasoning with two tablespoons water and cook for another minute
– Remove from heat and allow to cool
– To make the dressing, drain the lemon juice from the onions and mix in the mustard and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil
– When beans and peas have cooled, mix all components (beans and peas, dressing, onions, and parsley/mint) together and enjoy!
PS. Let me know if you try it. How did you like it?
Adapted from: http://www.afamilyfeast.com/chick-pea-and-green-bean-salad/