A few weeks ago my husband and I went to grab sushi at Ko Fusion in downtown Champaign. We ordered a couple of rolls and an udon bowl with vegetables and shrimp. It was a hit and my husband was like why don’t we try making something like that at home?
So I was like, challenge accepted and took to Google. I found the following recipe and of course had to Dua-it (as my husband calls it) and make a few adjustments.
The original recipe called for udon noodles but when I went to the grocery store they didn’t have udon noodles but had soba noodles which looked similar enough. I’m not familiar with the various noodles used within Chinese and Japanese cuisine. What I did love about the noodles I found though was that they came pre-cooked in a vacuum sealed package – all I had to do was open and throw into the stir fry. In the past I’ve used egg noddles and you have to cook those before mixing in so this was an awesome short cut! If you have the inside scoop on the different types of noodles, please do tell. In the meantime, I shall be doing my own research.
I also added in some diced chicken breast for protein by sautéing it in the pan (and then setting aside) prior to sautéing the vegetables. I also switched up the vegetables because I felt like it ?.
Anyway, on to the recipe (this makes 2-3 servings):
- 1 pound diced chicken breast
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste for the chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 carrots thinly sliced (matchsticks or round)
- 1-2 cups mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup green onions
- 1 package of 7 oz soft packaged noodles
- Sauce*: 1-2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, 2 teaspoons vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 tablespoon ginger paste
*I made quite a few edits to the original sauce recipe: more chili sauce, white vinegar instead of rice wine vinegar and olive oil instead of peanut oil because that’s what I had, I also decrease the brown sugar among.
- Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pan or wok, add chicken breast and cook until no longer pink, season with salt, peppers, and garlic powder; set aside once cooked
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan and add carrots, cook for a 5 minutes
- Then add mushrooms and onions and sauté until carrots tender and onions soft
- Add green onions and stir in
- Return chicken to pan and add noodle, allow both to warm up
- Add sauce and stir all together well
- Serve and enjoy – may garnish with green onions and sesame seeds
Check out original recipe on Seasons and Suppers!